The holiday season is upon us, and many pet parents plan to include 
their furry companions in the festivities. As you gear up for the 
holidays, it is important to try to keep your pet's eating and exercise 
habits as close to their normal routine as possible. Also, please be 
sure to steer pets clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants 
and dangerous decorations.

*Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations*

1. Oh, Christmas Tree: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it
doesn't tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will
also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can
cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding
ground for bacteria, and your pet could end up with nausea or
diarrhea should he imbibe.
2. Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to
suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause
gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many
varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.
Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic,
or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
3. Tinsel-less Town: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching "toy"
that's easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble
can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive
tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It's best
to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.
4. That Holiday Glow: Don't leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may
burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure
to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And
if you leave the room, put the candle out!
5. Wired Up: Keep wires, batteries and glass/plastic ornaments out
of paws' reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical
shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and
esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet's
mouth and digestive tract.